If you are looking for an electric scooter that performs excellently over an uneven surface or rough terrain, you need a big wheel electric scooter. A big wheel e-scooter has a long wheelbase and a bigger wheel. The wheel size ranges from 8 to 16 inches. These wheels give you more control while riding, helping you maintain stability. The big wheels also offer protection against bumps and foreign materials on the road, keeping you safe from crashes.
In this article, we have highlighted all things you should know about big wheel electric scooters in comparison with small-wheel scooters. We also provide you with the top 3 best electric scooters with big wheels.
Part 1. 3 Recommended Big Wheel Electric Scooters 2024
Many big wheel electric scooters are on the market today, but very few have optimal quality. We have tested major brands' scooters and recommended 3 big wheel electric scooters with impressive features.
There are many reasons why the TurboAnt X7 Max big wheel electric scooter tops our charts, including its cruise control, strong build, and long drive range. It is an electric scooter with big wheels, 25 km/h top speed, and a range of 50 km on one full charge.
Key Features of TurboAnt X7 Max Big Wheel Electric Scooter
- Removable Battery: The battery on the TurboAnt X7 Max big wheel electric scooter is detachable, which means you can remove and change batteries on long trips. With the X7 Max , you reduce the risk of being stranded on the road due to the battery running out.
- Lightweight and Foldable: Compared to other big wheel electric scooters, the TurboAnt X7 Max is lightweight, weighing 33lb. It is also foldable, which makes transporting and storage easier.
- Speed and Range: While speed is a constant for big wheel electric scooters, the TurboAnt X7 Max performs better than most with its 20 mph top speed. It has three-speed modes 10 km/h (ECO), 20 km/h (Comfort), and 25 km/h (Sport). It also gives you a range of 50 km in one full charge, making it perfect for weekend explorations.
- Dual-Braking System: It has a dual braking system, making it safe and easy to maneuver traffic with minimal risk of accidents.
- 10-Inch Pneumatic Tires: The TurboAnt X7 Max comes with a 10-inch rim which ensures you are comfortable and accident-free when you ride through uneven terrain.
Designed with aesthetics and functionality in mind, its steering wheel has its battery compartment, making the scooter sleek. It has a front-facing LED light that helps illuminate the ahead so you can detect and evade adverse road conditions on time. It also features a three-step folding mechanism, making for easy transport and storage of the scooter.
The TurboAnt X7 Max climbs an incline at an angle of 15% effortlessly and has a maximum speed of 25 kmk/h with a range of 50 km. Also, other speed modes make for an easy, comfortable ride like 10 km/h (ECO), 20 km/h (Comfort), and 25 km/h (Sport). The onboard monitor displays the current speed, battery status, and riding mode, keeping you informed. It can carry a maximum weight of 125 kg.
The TurboAnt X7 Max is no different when it comes to quality. Its 10-inch tires help reduce the effect of rough and uneven terrains on the rider, making the ride as comfortable as possible.
The TurboAnt X7 Max is ideal for most urban roads. Compared to most big wheel scooters, the TurboAnt X7 Max is inexpensive.
Produced by the Kaabo brand, the Wolf warrior is a combination of a motocross racer and an electric big wheel scooter. It is a high-speed electric scooter ideal for off-road riding.
Two main features make the design of the Wolf Warrior scooter stand out, the front hydraulic fork and tubular frame, which combine to give the scooter a fierce appearance.
It has a top speed of 50 mph and a range of 80 miles, ensuring you arrive at your destination on time. It has two riding modes and a digital display screen that shows speed, ride mode, and battery capacity. It also houses a 5400 Watts motor, enabling it to quickly climb steep hills.
The Wolf Warrior has a great suspension system and 11 inches tubeless tires, ideal for all-terrain types. It is perfect for all-terrain types, including paved, rough, and bumpy roads.
Currently, the Wolf warrior sells at $2,299 and is worth every penny.
Created by the Minimotors brand, the Dualtron X2 comes with 13 inches ultra-wide tires. This electric scooter with big wheels is a cross between motorcycles and foldable electric scooters.
This is one of the heaviest electric scooters on the market, weighing about 145 lb. It carries a maximum load of 330 lb. The Dualtron X2 big wheel electric scooter for adults uses dual-motor modes to cope with its weight and that of the rider. Made from aerospace-grade aluminum alloy, the frame of the X2 is corrosion resistant. It comes with two charging ports for the two batteries.
The Dualtron X2 big tire electric scooter has a top speed of 68 mph, a maximum range of 80 miles, and two ride modes. Besides, the large wheel size, steering damper, and weight of the scooter make riding pleasurable.
Additionally, the big wheels also make it maneuverable while ensuring it cushions the effects of bumpy rides. It is ideal for all types of terrain, thanks to its superior suspension system. Currently, the Dualtron X2 electric scooter costs $6,490.
Part 2. Small Wheels or Big Wheels Electric Scooter
Buying a scooter for the first time is a tad difficult due to the many options available on the market. Another challenging part of the buying process is choosing between small wheels or big wheels.
Which One Is Better?
The wheel type on the electric scooter determines its performance and how much comfort you get from the scooter.
If you are looking for a lightweight electric scooter, easy to carry around, then the small wheel scooter is ideal for you. Big wheel electric scooters are heavier than their small wheel counterparts, making them more difficult.
Bigger wheels provide more stability and offer more comfort. They are also faster than the smaller wheels and cushion the effects of bumps and rough terrain better. They are recommended if you value more efficiency than weight.
Why Choose the Big Wheel Electric Scooter?
- Speed: Big wheel electric scooters maintain speed and momentum better than small wheel scooters due to their ability to store inertia within the wheels. They are also better at gliding than their small wheel counterparts, which helps increase battery efficiency.
- All-Terrain: Since big wheel scooters have a larger surface, they can easily roll over obstacles on the road, making rides smoother and more comfortable. Also, the deck on a big wheel scooter is higher, making it more difficult for bumps to scrap the underdeck. This makes the big wheel scooter ideal for all types of terrain, from paved roads to bumpy terrains.
- Suitable for Traveling: Since traveling is often a high-speed venture, big wheel scooters are ideal. You also throttle less and glide more which helps save your battery during the long journey.
Part 3. A Comparison Feature on Small Wheel vs Big Wheel Electric Scooters
The two electric scooter wheels have the same functionality-commuting across or around town. However, one tends to perform better in one aspect or more than the other. Here, I defined the differences in the performance of each wheel feature.
A large wheel scooter will give you a smoother ride over obstacles like potholes, bumps, and rough terrain due to its considerable stability and balance. On the other hand, small wheel scooters are terrible for rough roads. But their lightweight gives you control of the movement and allows you to move swiftly to dodge obstacles.
Big wheel electric scooter should be your first choice if you intend to ride on a rough road. They can glide over rough surfaces seamlessly.
Speed and Acceleration
Big wheel scooters ride smoothly with greater momentum, allowing you to move faster. But even as the big wheel electric scooter moves relatively at a higher speed, it is slow in acceleration. It takes a lot of effort to turn the big wheel models hence the slow acceleration. The small wheel model accelerates faster since they're lighter.
In addition, the big wheel electric scooter gives you natural traction control when riding on slippery surfaces due to the balance of its wheel. Small wheel electric scooters, on the other hand, tend to have less traction control. As a result, you have to be careful when accelerating to avoid drifting.
Large wheel scooters are less portable. The small wheel scooter is lightweight, making them more portable and convenient to move around. So, if you need an easily transportable scooter, then the big wheel scooter is certainly not for you.
Accompany Scooter Parts
Electric scooters with big wheels come with vital accompanying parts like the deck and motor to fit the large tires. This feature ensures stability and makes it suitable for long drives. On the other hand, the small wheel electric scooter is designed to fit its smaller wheel.
The Rider's Weight
The big wheel electric scooter has a relatively better balance than the small wheel electric scooter. The big wheel models provide an excellent balance that is sturdy enough to carry heavy riders. On the hand, small wheel scooters are ideal for teenagers and kids. However, you should consider the scooter quality - if the scooter is durable and high quality, then an adult will have no fear of riding on a small wheel scooter.
Big wheel electric scooters are more expensive than small wheel electric scooters. The price of big wheel scooters ranges from $600 to $3000, while the small wheel scooters go from $300 to $600. Although, durability and brand also significantly affect the price of scooters.
Part 4. FAQs for Big Wheel Electric Scooters
1. What's the Top Choice for a Big Wheel Electric Scooter?
The TurboAnt X7 Max electric scooter with 10-inch big-wheels leads the pack with features like cruise control, robust construction, and an impressive range. Sporting 20-inch wheels, a 20 mph top speed, it delivers a substantial ride on a single charge.
2. Are Larger Wheels Better on Electric Scooters?
Generally, larger wheels offer advantages for speed, stability, and riding comfort. They provide more ground clearance, greater shock absorption, and enhanced traction. However, smaller wheels offer agility and ease of maneuverability, making them a choice for nimble rides.
3. What Wheel Size is Ideal for Electric Scooters?
The choice hinges on personal preference. Larger wheels provide superior traction, stability, and comfort, especially on uneven terrain. Yet, they can affect maneuverability and portability. Smaller wheels are agile but might compromise stability. Consider the balance based on your usage.
4. What Are the Benefits of Big Wheels?
- Better obstacle rollover due to a shallower angle of attack.
- Increased grip and traction from the larger contact patch.
- Safer braking with greater resistance on the ground.
- Potentially higher top speed due to tire size. Big wheels enhance ride quality, stability, and safety.
5. Which Terrain Suits Electric Scooters with Big Wheels?
Big-wheel electric scooters excel on various terrains, from city streets to off-road tracks, offering versatility in tackling different surfaces.
What wheel size should you get when buying an electric scooter? To make an informed decision, you have to consider factors like the terrain you will ride it, budget, weight, and riding style. A large wheel would suit you better if you are after speed or want to ride on bumpy terrains. On the other hand, if you would need to carry your scooter around, then TurboAnt Max lightweight electric scooter is your best bet.